Donor Organization: EU - through Government budgetary support
Exeuctive & Partner Organization:
- Executive: Ministry of Environment, Climate Change, Natural Disaster and Meteorology (MECDM)
- Partners: Relevant Govt Agencies and Other Stakholders
The overall objective of this program is to contribute to climate change adaptation and reduction of vulnerability of communities living on low-lying atolls, artificially built islands and other low lying coastal areas in Solomon Islands. Specific objectives includes
- strengthen the EU-Solomon Island Government (SIG) policy dialogue in the area of Climate Change,
- assist SIG in mainstreaming climate change and disaster risk reduction into national policy and budget
- develop institutional capacities within the Ministry to implement the National Disaster Risk Management Plan for Disaster Management and Disaster Risk Reduction including for Climate Change (NDRMP), and
- contribute implementing Priority One of the national Adaptation Programme of Action (NAPA), focused on the resettlement of people as a response to sea level rise, changes in rain patterns, waves and tropical cyclones resulting from climate change.
Aim: To contribute to climate change adaptation and reduction of vulnerability of communities living on low-lying atolls, artifically built islands and other low-lying coastal areas in Solomon Islands.
Time Frame: 2011 -2015
Total Cost/Budget: EU$2,800,000
Sector: Governance and Planning
- Effective mainstreaming of Climate Change and Disaster Risk Reduction priorities in national and development policies and key sector strategies
- CCA and DRR activities are being carried out, targeting people living on low lying atolls, artificially built islands and other low-lying coastal areas
- Institutional capacities within the Ministry of Environment, Climate Change and Disaster Management & Meteorology are strengthen and
- A national CC strategy on relocation is developed, coherent with the NDRMP 2010 and NAPA 2008, is established in consultation with all stakeholders.
- Ms Nester Lolley-Leguvaka, SICAP Project Coordinator, MECDM, (677) 23031/24074
National Climate Change Policy: N/A
Amount of Project Budget Spent to Date: N/A
Percentage of Project Budget Spent to Date: N/A